CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yesterday the boys said a couple of things that struck me as funny/interesting. They're always saying zany stuff, but these quips made me laugh a little more than usual, and stop to ponder. Hhmmmmm.


Dane is going through a contrary and independant phase, exploring the boundaries of obedience. He's been experimenting with "I don't want to" and "Why?" in response to my commands, I mean requests. Well yesterday he pulled out the "NO". The flat out refusal to comply obviously wasn't successful, so it quickly turned sour. He threw up his arms and slackened his posture in defeat and looked at me sincerely and said:

"I am so tired of always having to do what you say."

AAAaaaahhhhhh . . . truth. I laughed heartily, then sat back and appreciated his honest self-awareness and articulation. He stripped away any potential screaming and crazy futile frustration (brought on by his lack of control over most of his circumstances) and simply stated the truth, the motivation for his behavior. He wants to make more choices for himself.

He's 5 on Sunday and maybe I need to give him more opportunities to feel some control in his little life. But dang - that was funny.

-----------------------------------

Dalton is a picky eater, no bones about that. Well last night at dinner he told me something that I actually wasn't sure about.

The setting: dinner, where I had prepared spaghetti squash as a side and was attempting to coerce the chillins to partake. I was shameless and Dalton looked at me with a matter-of-fact tone and said:

"You know, Mom, as you get older you lose taste-buds, so you don't mind eating vegetables as much. "

I actually paused and had to think. Is this true? Darren says heck no - you don't lose any, just maybe some sensitivity loss, but I have yet to look it up. I mean I have had my tastes change quite a bit as I've gotten older to include a lot more veggies, legumes, etc. He may be on to something, but I still won't let him off the hook at dinnertime.

It was pretty smooth if it was totally fabricated. Scary. And if not, where did he learn this? He didn't remember.

9 comments:

The Clark said...

ha! ana has said the same thing to me about tastebuds. i've actually heard sarah jerome say it too. surely she confirmed with john. which dentist knows best?......

Seth Hippen said...

Yeah, I remember learning that about the tastebuds when I was in elementary school. It's amazing how dead tastebuds make things taste better.

Julie said...

If it is true about the taste buds, maybe I will grow out of the all I want is candy and ice cream? I mean really am I any different than a 3 yr old!

Lindsay said...

Hate to tell ya, but I think Dalton's right. Not that my source is the be-all-end-all, but I did hear this on Oprah from Dr. Oz a few months back. Pretty smart kid....

Julie said...

It's true. At least that's what they taught me in school about why old people don't like to eat. Everything is bland. Pretty clever argument.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy I found you! Your family is gorgeous, and I look forward to keeping up with your blog. Yay for technology!

Nicki said...

hahahahahaha, what a smart kid!

Eastlands said...

Sounds sooooo familiar :) I need your address when you get a chance! Love, Trista

Yang Fam said...

They are so funny! I can picture them saying those funny comments. I miss them. Tell Dalton I miss his XOXOXO.