CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A little help please!

Okay. It's getting down to the wire (kind of) with less than a month left until #3 comes our way . . . and we have no idea what to name him.

We've been searching and making lists for months and still no clear winner. Not even a clear front -runner. I like a couple names, Darren wants some others, Dalton has a clear preference, and Dane doesn't really care (he's suggested Dalton, Baby Jesus, and Kieran - his friend's baby brother). We've kinda painted ourselves into a corner with the "D" thing, but at this point I don't think we can deviate.

To complicate matters, Dalton had some drama in church last week when they were discussing the meaning of names. He found out that his name means "valley farm" and needless to say he wasn't impressed. As a matter of fact he was upset (didn't help that some other kids laughed - even though the meanings of their names were equally nonsensical).

We tried to console him by telling him that we named him after his Grandma and Grandpa Rennaker's farm in the Creston Valley, that we made lots of lists and his name was always on both of ours - so it won! That, followed by a procession of apologizing primary children (with prodding parents in tow), wasn't sufficient to assuage him. He still insisted that he hated his name.

Then, on the way home from church he announced that he wanted us to call him "ACE". (Stifled laughter and wide-eyed bewilderment exhanged in the front seat at this point) I don't know where he got that (maybe from Chicken Little -"Oh Ace!") but luckily he changed his mind later in the afternoon. (We did our best to call him Ace at every opportunity - in hopes of annoying him into wanting his old name back. All very passive agressive) Consequently, the ordeal has made me look a little more at the meanings of names than before.

Should I mention that one of the names I like, Drew, means "manly"?

I suppose we'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Maybe inspiration will strike and we'll just know. Or we'll keep tossing ridiculous suggestions back and forth until we're in the hospital and suddenly we've got a baby named after my painkillers.
Only time will tell.

4 comments:

The Clark said...

holy crap you make me laugh my guts out. that was hilarious!

make a "book" with names and their supposed meanings in it and show dalton with supposed excitement that dalton means karate guy or man with a patch on one eye who plunders and pillages.

love drew. loved the other d one you told me of once that i cannot remember. how about darby? delbert? demitri? dante? donald? man, i see what you mean. i'll brainstorm.

Nicki said...

I get what you mean about the meaning. Hehe. It was important to me too.
So you know, "Dagon" was the "Fish-God" of the Philistines. It is biblical. funny!
With Ian I would spent an embarrasing amount of time on line looking up the meaning of names that end in the letter N. Crazy things we do, just so we can feel like we get it right. In the meantime we go crazy ourselves.
Good luck.
BTW, I like Drew also.
Nicki

Anita said...

I totally understand. We had the hardest time naming Tyson--I can't imagine if we were stuck with starting it with just one letter. There are a few cute "D" names left. Just hope you don't have another boy after this one. How about Draco (JK)? I never worried too much about meaning--unless it meant something really lame. Good luck.

Beth said...

Gee, Stacie I don't know why Baby Jesus is out of the running?