CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Freddie the Frog

Hi, my name is Stacie and I am not a pet-lover.

This may seem cold-hearted, (I have no problem with other people's pets - I really loved our old neighbor's dog Riley - I just don't really want one in my house until my kids can take better care of themselves) but it’s not personal – it’s completely practical and logical.

Practicality:
I am allergic to cats and most dogs. This means that I don’t enjoy the consequences of most animal encounters, so I avoid them.
Logic:
Animals = mess, mess = enemy, therefore animals = enemy. (it's an occupational hazard as a mom/housekeeper to have a desire to eradicate the source of a mess; I can't get rid of my kids, but . . . you see where I'm going)

Darren's with me on this, too. Growing up on a farm has made him see animals as functional - they all had a purpose (cats kill mice, cows give milk, chickens give eggs, whatever), plus you can't get attached when the animals die at regular intervals. (Some day I'll recount our experience when we were visiting the farm and they slaughtered a cow. ) Anyhoo, my non-animal-lover status coupled with Darren's functional view of animals (companionship isn't enough; they have to pull some weight) leads to circumstances rather unfriendly for pets in our house. I guess we're just plain old meanies.

I only explain this because I think my anti-pet sentiments have created a frenzied pro-pet environment . Perhaps our attempts to postpone the acquisition of a family pet have caused our children to exhibit such enthusiasm around little animals that it's possibly dangerous. And that brings us to this:

Our cute little neighbor boy, Smith - Dane's partner in crime, went on a walk and found a frog. His cute family left town this weekend and let us care for the frog while they were gone. The boys were, needless to say, THRILLED! Darren was not. He was mandating the application of toxic levels of hand sanitizer at every turn, but the boys didn't care. They manhandled that thing constantly, obviously putting him on a motorcycle and a little car and dancing him around all over like the performing frog from the old school Looney Tunes.

I just knew he was gonna croak (hee hee) from the overload, but he's still hoppin'. They christened him "Freddie the Frog"and they're gorging themselves on the fun of having a pet. Truthfully, I can tell they adore this little frog, but they treat it like a toy not a living thing - and that's a wee bit scary. I've given them the countdown. We're releasing him for FHE tomorrow night. Hopefully he'll still be alive amd can return to his family!

Please don't report us to PETA.

5 comments:

The Clark said...

cute! and funny that you mention the farm. we went out to oretta's for dinner last night and on the way home the girls were asking thomas thousands of questions about the farm. he is a little more pro-pet than darren is (obviously since he just got a dog). the girls think the farm life is soooo dreamy. lily told me this morning she is going to buy lots of land across the street from disneyland and build a house and a barn in the middle of it. she'll find most of the animals (you know how pigs and cows roam freely around l.a.) and she'll probably have to buy the horses. she'll work at disneyland and her husband will take care of the animals. and her kids will earn days at disneyland for completing their chores.

this is a girl with a plan. (if you think that was detailed you should hear her insanely complex plan for earning the money to buy the house - i don't know whether to think she is well organized or ocd).

good luck tonight with the froggie launch! we love & miss you guys.

The Rennakers: said...

i have to say that one of the reasons we love colorado is we also have dreams of land and animals - just 'outside' animals. i also plan on flying marie out here to help me put in a garden after we buy a house. tell lily her plans sound awesome! i've seen your girls' entreprenurial skills so i'm sure she'll get the cash she needs!

The Clark said...

outside animals being...cows named sally???

Nicki said...

I am so with you on the pet issue. Only around here, I am the only meanie. Daddy wants a dog too. But thankfully, he is supportive of my lack of love for house pets.

joni said...

Aaron is the same way about pets as you. He just does not like the mess and the germs. Allie has started having an imaginary dog and cat go with us everywhere. Your next house just needs a really big yard so the dog never has to come inside. And the dog could be functional... you could put out one of those 'Beware of Dog' signs to scare away robbers and unwanted solicitors! Colorado looks fun, but I hope you are getting ready for winter!